Monday, October 29, 2007

Diana the headless dressform gets a makeover

After years of hating the fact that my dress form is burgundy, I decided to do something about it. Yes, Diana had some plastic surgery with a glue gun. Does anyone know WHY they are burgundy? Personally, I would prefer the visual of a human like body when making clothes and as far as I know, there are no burgundy colored humans...

It turned out to be time consuming (about 4 hours) , but worth it in the end.

Materials Used:

glue gun

2 yards of fleshtone tricot knit from Denver Fabrics

If you have the dial-a-dummy like I do, it's pretty easy to pop the various sections out. I started with the front top section, cut a piece of tactel around the same size as the section (no need to be exact here, it stretches) and started glue gunning the inner edges.


Once the heat cooled down (but we all know I burned all my fingers anyway!) I started wrapping the tactel around the section at the one glued edge and let dry.



Then I would go to the opposite edge, glue gun, stretch the tricot knit and stick.


I worked section by section, on a plastic matt, because GLUE WILL SPILL, TRUST ME. The trickiest part is gluing around the dials and cutting away the fabric from there so that it will not bulk.





And voila, a shiny, brand new Diana, with an actual fleshtone body!

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Time for Organization...and time to drool

My husband and I live in a loft style condo townhouse. I love it..and hate it. I love the cathedral ceilings, but hate the fact there are only 2 bedrooms, one is our office. Or was. For the past 6 years we have worked together (we both run internet companies from home) out of that one room. Most people cannot believe it when I tell them we work in the same room, let alone haven't killed each other! Well, he recently kicked me out...okay, suggested I relocate to the loft area. I was reluctant at first, because it would take quite a bit of moving around/buying furniture, new desk etc. But his business is growing. He is constantly on the phone - he has a LOUD voice. It drove me a bit batty when trying to sift through some code or other such geeky thing requiring a lot of concentration.
Moving my office and combining it into a work/sewing area has turned out better than I thought! And...I got some new hardware out of it :) I will post pictures when it is a little more tricked out. In the meantime, check out this group on Flickr: The Sewing Room Organization group. http://www.flickr.com/groups/424384@N22/
I am amazed and inspired what some people have done with their sewing space.